McKean is an attorney on our litigation team. He brings a depth of experience in insurance bad faith, ERISA, and employment litigation. He also serves as cooperating counsel with the ACLU of Washington. McKean grew up in Maine. He attended law school and became a lawyer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he practiced for many years. He worked for a judge out of law school, which was a great experience because it got him out of the “ivory tower” and let him see firsthand how the law impacts real people. McKean saw a lot of people suffer because they lacked the time, resources or knowledge to hold the system accountable, but he also saw a lot of injustices and problems fixed with the help of good lawyers.
McKean relocated to Seattle in 2017 with his wife, a native of the Pacific Northwest.
- King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin – Best Practices for Handling Your Clients’ Employer-Sponsored Insurance Disputes Under ERISA (January 1, 2019)
- WSAJ Trial News – Handling Companion Disability or Health Insurance Disputes (October, 2018)
- WSAJ Trial News – Department of Labor’s New ERISA Claims Regulation Restores Important Rights to Insureds (September 2018)
- King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin – Decision Clears Way for Bad Faith Suits against Insurance Adjusters (May 1, 2018)
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Employment Discrimination and Retaliation
- Employment Separation Agreements and Noncompetition Provisions
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
- Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ), Eagle Member
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- King County Bar Association (KCBA)
- McKean earned his B.A. from the University of Maine, magna cum laude, in three years.
- McKean earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where McKean served as an editor on the University of Pittsburgh Law Review and published The Future of Conflicts Between Islamic and Western Financial Systems: Profit, Principle and Pragmatism. McKean received scholarly awards including the “Order of the Barristers” for excellent oral and written advocacy at the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, the CALI “Award for Excellence in the Future” in Constitutional Law and in Freedom of Religion, and the Dean’s Scholarship for outstanding academic performance.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2018-2019)
- Avvo Superb Rating
- Pivotal Law Group, PLLC (Attorney)
- Feinstein Doyle Payne & Kravec, LLC (Attorney)
- The Honorable Robert L. Boyer, Common Pleas Judge of the 28th Judicial District of Pennsylvania (Judicial Law Clerk).
McKean does pro bono legal work for the ACLU of Washington and is active in the King County Bar Association and Washington State Association for Justice.
Outside of practicing law, McKean enjoys hiking and backpacking in the beautiful Washington wilderness.